Orthodox Friends Cemetery (Hartland, NY)

Orthodox Friends Cemetery

Orthodox Friends Cemetery (aka Quaker Cemetery) is located on Ridge Rd. in Hartland and was used from 1836 until 1905 (according to the sign placed by the Hartland Bicentennial Commission)). The Quaker Society of Friends built a cobblestone meeting house called Cobblehurst in 1818. The meeting house is next to where the cemetery was later placed and is a private residence today. A news clipping states that the cemetery begun in 1822 which is contradictory from the Hartland Bicentennial Commission sign.1

Find a Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1963438/orthodox-friends-cemetery
BillionGraves: https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/Orthodox-Friends-Cemetery/159957

Decoration Day Celebrations 1883

The following news article is transcribed (with misspellings) below: Flowers for Dead Hereos. THE BEAUTIFUL CUSTON OF DECORATING THE GRAVES…

  1. “Cobblehurst,” unknown newspaper, handwritten date of 19 July 2000; Niagara County Historian’s Office, Orthodox Cemetery folder.

Blog at WordPress.com.